Friday 10 July 2009

Stop Smoking Now!

This may be one of the most important posts I have made so far in my brief foray into blogging.

Recently I had a very good friend of mine move to the USA to "find herself". A Pilates teacher for over 5 years, she wanted to learn more about anatomy and just get exposure from a different perspective. I think that what she has undertaken is incredibly courageous and proactive ... and I am guilty of giving her tons of unsolicited advice.

Why? Because I really want to see her take things to the next level ... and because I know she won't take offense when I am direct. She knows me well enough to know I don't ever try to run for mayor!

You see, my friend is a seasoned trainer who really knows her stuff. But she is a smoker. The two are not congruent. I have always maintained that we can only help others in our industry properly if we strive to be authentic. Deep down inside, we all know this.

I salute anyone in our industry who invests in becoming a better, more complete, more competent trainer. That for me, is truly exciting.

So here is an excerpt from a conversation I had with her by email recently.

"Re: your smoking. I'll talk straight with you 'cause you are the kind of person who will appreciate that and I think I know you well enough that you won't get pissed off at me. So here goes:

You can't build a business in the health profession if you smoke. That simple. It's like me trying to be a credible trainer when I am 120kg's. Ludicrous!

You (and all of us in the industry) have to be authentic. You have to quit ... cold turkey ... no chemical (medical) "assistance" ... and accept that you will never smoke again in this lifetime. That, I'm sure, is terrifying. I know, trust me, I've been there ... with interest!

But that's the nature of addiction. I had withdrawals for years, not weeks. But now I am free I realise that it was crucial for me on every level.

When you go through this you will realise you can't possibly help other people if you haven't internalised the wisdom of what I'm saying here.

Health can only exist in the absence of non-contributing stressors. Smoking only loads your body ... it contributes nothing. It's like over-training. Just costs too much with zero benefit."

The rest of my letter was far more innocuous.

I hope that there are other people out there who may read this and be touched enough to quit for life. Just one person will make a difference. I'm sure people may think my approach is harsh or impractical. It's not. It's just how it is. Sorry.

I also fully accept that it is not the only way to quit smoking.

Have a wonderful week ... and please, let me know your opinions. I always value feedback and will do my best to respond honestly and comprehensively.

No comments: