Thursday 2 July 2009

Quit Smoking And Get Paid

I must apologize to my legions of fans (all 3 of you) for not posting recently.

I know, it's inexcusable. I have violated the unspoken code of professional blogging ... and inconvenienced people. I'm truly sorry.

My instincts tell me never to make excuses, so I won't.

I thought I'd rejoin the fray with a commentary on a clip I came across on BBC Breakfast.

Our illustrious NHS is now using public money to incentivise people to quit smoking in Dundee. That's right folks ... 12.50 GBP per week for twelve weeks if you can prove you haven't succumbed to temptation ... at a weekly "smoking cessation group" no less.

And how is this justified? Well we are all supposed to feel sorry for the poor souls who are battling to meet bills, daily commitments and responsibilities (that dirty word again) and who are therefore unable to prioritise quiting smoking. Twenty first century mathematicians have then extrapolated that ultimately this saves the NHS money down the road.

Why don't we just start situating parasite pods in every major city so that people can abrogate all responsibility and just plug in to the support they so richly deserve? We can feed them, clothe them, keep them entertained and medicated. And we can give them money on demand when the lifestyle becomes too onerous.

I was also fascinated to see that some of these iron-willed gladiators were spending their windfall bucks on white bread, soft drinks and processed meats. A sure-fire recipe for longevity and quality of life! And a curve ball for the statisticians, no doubt.

Add in the sage words of a local doctor who points out that this is working better than other approaches and who knows, maybe we can adopt it nationwide.

This has to be about as bizarre as the concept of mandatory polypills!

2 comments:

Jan from BetterSpines said...

As you say - bizarre! Never mind the money one saves by not being a smoker. Never mind that one may be able to exercise or at least walk to the shop without having an asthma attack. Let's pay people for doing what they should choose to do anyway! As an ex-smoker, I can say that there was no incentive or program that worked AT ALL until I chose to be a non-smoker. You cannot force people to quit, any more than you can force any addict to give up their addiction.

Don said...

Hi Jan

I totally agree with you. There seems to be a culture that has taken hold that allows people to do anything but take responsibility for their own health.

The "it's not your fault" mindset.

Sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet.

Thanks again for your contribution.