Tuesday 3 March 2009

For My Dad

My Dad complained yesterday that I hadn't updated this blog on Friday, as is my usual routine.

So Dad, this post is just for you!

I was delighted actually to hear that he still follows my writing even though I know he's really busy. Now if I could just persuade him to start walking again ...

The reason I didn't update at my usual time was partly by design (I wanted to leave the previous post up to let people know about my new blog) ... and partly inexcusable (I was pre-occupied and uninspired, so took the easy way out).

My new blog is turning out to be a lot of fun!

First, my computer skills are shocking, so accomplishing even the most basic of tasks is quite daunting for me. I'm also too much of a perfectionist and want everything just right before I "go public". I know, that's sad. But hey ... in spite of these tiny obstacles, I'm getting really excited.

The whole idea behind my new venture is to paint myself into a corner. Since moving to the UK, I have put on a few pounds. I came over from Zimbabwe last year, so seeing all this organic food, fresh salmon and prawns has been a culture shock. And an irresistable temptation.

Actually, I shouldn't use Zimbabwe as an excuse as I was "rather large" even on my arrival, in spite of living on eggs, the odd can of smuggled tuna, rice and cauliflower. I think I may have overdone it on the rice? What can I say, I was slightly stressed.

Anyway, I'm in a good place now and have resolved to resculpt myself into a leaner, healthier version of what I was ten years ago. My vision is to have the body of a fit 30 year-old, with the wisdom (hah!) of a 40-something-ish person. It would also be nice to re-acquaint myself with my feet when I look down.

By recording all this, including some rather ghastly photos, I figure I'll have no choice. Slim down ... or embarrass myself profoundly in front of my online audience. Along the way, I'm going to be recording my daily slog, warts and all.

I may even throw in the odd bit of useful information about how to lose weight safely and how to hone a healthier existence. You never know.

I'll give you all the link in my next post on Friday, even if I have fallen far short of perfection.

I'm hoping to attract a bunch of people who have similar aspirations for 2009 and who want a daily source of inspiration. And a good laugh.

And I want to get my old man to start moving again. For those of you who don't know ... he's 80 years old, works like a dog, enjoys the odd Johnny Walker and gets concerned when his son misses a post.

How cool is that!

No comments: