Tuesday 17 March 2009

Price Increases Cure Addictions

Unsurprisingly, I got a few comments about Dr David Walker's suggestion that chocolate should be taxed like alcohol or cigarettes.

Since this last post the UK Chief Medical Officer, Sir Liam Donaldson, has come out and pressed for a minimum per unit price on booze "to change Britain's binge-drinking culture". Seems this will protect young and irresponsible heavy drinkers.

To be fair this proposal did not receive support from #10 ... but the fact that it was even tabled speaks volumes about how far out of whack things have become.

At what point will we stop protecting these miscreants and start bringing them to account? They don't care a rat's about the price ... and they don't care who they insult, offend or abuse. And they won't ever take responsibility for the havoc they cause unless we stop holding their hands and excusing their behaviour. Oh, I forgot, they're children (or at least they're under 18)... which means they can't possibly be responsible for anything. It must all be society's fault. What was I thinking?

Or have I missed the point completely and this is all just another clever way to drum up more indirect tax revenue under the guise of social responsibility?

I think I'll have another chocolate Easter Bunny. I'd better wind my neck in.

No comments: