Sunday 11 January 2009

Consider Learning First Aid

First, apologies to my readers for the hole in my blogging continuity. I still haven't figured out what happened, but my last post has just disappeared into thin air. It's the strangest thing ... maybe in my haste, I just forgot to publish the post ... can I get any more stupid? But I always proof read what I post, so I am just baffled.

Yesterday I updated my First Aid knowledge. I have to be honest, I was not looking forward to spending an entire day in the classroom when I could be outside walking and enjoying all this crisp winter air.

What a pleasant surprise ... the instructor was awesome (thank you British Red Cross and George Potter) and the information was superb.

Prior to all this I would rate my first aid knowledge as diabolical and my willingness to get involved and actually step forward in an emergency situation close to zero ... a reflection of my concern that I would probably do more harm than good.

Now I feel far more informed ... and more importantly, far more willing and prepared to step up to the plate if I'm ever in that situation.

And the thing that really stuck out for me is that, with rudimentary knowledge I can still actually make a difference and save a life. Sure, I don't have the knowledge, stomach and experience of a paramedic ... but at least I won't just panic and wring my hands in a celebration of uselessness.

So please, do yourselves a favour ... for just a few bucks and a day of your time you can learn enough to save a life, or at the very least, give someone the best possible chance. You don't have to be a pro.

Someone may thank you ... and how good would that feel?

And George ... you rock! Thanks mate.

No comments: