Monday 18 May 2009

Why Do We Overeat?

I thought I'd take a closer look at some of the reasons we overeat.

People who follow my other blog will know that I strongly believe that those of us that overeat are food addicts.

Many people who overeat do so because they are slaves to dopamine and get their strongest dopamine response from calorie-dense foods. Food manufacturers exploit this mercilessly by adding flour, oil and sugar to processed foods ... then banging in one final nail with the addition of salt (for taste, of course).

For those of you unfamiliar with dopamine, this is the chemical responsible for pleasure. It is released when we eat and when we have sex. We have also become pretty adept at artificially inducing dopamine release with the recreational drugs that the underground chemists amongst us have so cleverly cooked up.

And of course, for the more law-abiding, you can always settle for good old-fashioned booze, coffee or cigarettes.

Dopamine release obviously happens for a reason. Our population growth, for example, may not have been quite so prolific without this wondrous chemical working its magic. In fact, if you stop to think about it, why would anyone go to all that bother, if there wasn't a dopamine bone at the end of the rainbow?

But, as is usually the case with us humans, we have gone to extremes in our zeal to over-indulge our senses.

Which brings me back to over-eating. We eat too much because that is the way we have evolved. Years ago, in millenia gone by, food wasn't perhaps quite so conveniently abundant as it is today. So you pretty much had to grab what you could get, when you could get it. If you didn't, then maybe you might have been prejudicing your survival and we couldn't have that.

So we adapted to this inconsistency of food supply by ensuring that, when food was available, we got our fill with interest! Human calorie camels!

Today the only thing that's changed is scarcity ... there is none. For most people in developed countries, food is available, inexpensive and convenient. And loaded with empty calories! And as a result, we just keep flooding our little brains with as much dopamine as we can.

I think we might even be oblivious to this biological imperative. Sharks are not the only creature known for feeding frenzies.

But it could also be argued that addiction is not the only driver of over-indulgence. What about emotional eating? Most of us have issues ... and food provides temporary comfort. OK, maybe that's our old friend dopamine weaving her magic again.

Or how about boredom? Or habit? Maybe. After all when we catch ourselves over-eating it does seem pretty mindless.

Maybe it's "true" physiological hunger. We may be overfed, but we're also probably undernourished because, for some of us at least, what nutrition do we get from icecream, chocolate, biscuits and Mickey-D's?

What I have observed in myself has nothing to do with real hunger, or lack of nutrients. I eat a wide variety of organic foods and my habits aren't particularly quirky, although I won't go near liver!

But I eat plenty of veg, fruits, nuts, fish, berries, unprocessed grains ... as well as the odd chicken breast, steak, or omelette. Grass-fed, free-range, organic everything ... it can't possibly be malnutrition for me.

But I still have moments where I could eat an entire wild salmon, or a whole bag of organic carrots, or 6 pears at a sitting!

That's narrows things down for me to "emotional" eating and flat-out addiction.

And discipline and moderation seem like ridiculous concepts for me in my battle to combat the siren call of dopamine.

I know I'm not alone in feeling this way ... so tell me how it is for you. What are your thoughts? Are you "addicted" to nutritious "healthy" food, or just calorie-dense rubbish with no nutritional value whatsoever?

Go ahead ... post a comment and let us know your own insight into this universal affliction. Food addicts need more direction than just moderation, discipline and restraint.

Or are we just weak and pathetic?

Your views please?

7 comments:

Jenifer B said...

I find that when I plan my meals I tend to overeat because I am to fixated on the amount of calories and as soon as I go over that magic number (say 1300 calories) I feel I have sabotaged myself so may aswell just keep plowing through that food! That is why a food jounral has never worked for me. I started using flower remedies to help with the emotional aspect and it has really helped. there are three in an emotional eating kit. My eating is totally driven by emotion, both good and bad!

Don said...

Hi Jenifer B

Thanks for your comment. I feel your pain when it comes to emotional eating.

What may help you is changing the way you view your food journal. Just use it, not to chastize yourself, but rather to give you perspective on the sheer volume of food you feel you need to eat and how certain meals may have a physiological impact as well as an emotional impact.

It's just a highlighting tool.

I have no personal experience with flower remedies ... but like the idea that you are taking steps to pamper and take care of yourself.

You may also be feeling that your overeating is purely emotional, when in fact it may have a physiological aspect too ... that dopamine I was talking about.

When you eat as a result of what you perceive as weakness, you may mistake this for emotional vulnerability.

So it can be a real wolf in sheeps clothing.

Keep working on yourself. Taking responsibility and then making small steps gradually will eventually add up to meaningful results.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

I go to Christian functions at least 3 times a week and there is loads of food on the buffet. It is so hard for me not to taste test a lot of foods so I do not hurt certain peoples' feelings. I have always asked for recipes of dishes I like that people brought.

I overeat for many reasons, one is above. The second is stress eating or boredom. As a diabetic, I have a hard time controlling my blood sugar.

I am learning that if I only eat one carbohydrate per meal at home, then my blood sugar level is better. I actually lose a few pounds. Now if I can just not sabotage myself with the buffets.

Clara said...

This is the first place I've read about dopamine in regard to overeating. It certainly rings true. When I think back over my history of overeating (all my life), it makes sense that I've been seeking that high that dopamine gives. It's something for me to think about next time I'm tempted by the brownies in the freezer!

Don said...

Hi Shirley and Clara

Thanks for your comments.

Dopamine may explain why that addictive pull you feel is so strong ... but here's what you can do to keep it at bay.

More raw, living, whole, plant foods ... a variety of fruit (go easy 'cause of sugar), veggies (especially green, but all colours great), sprouts (packs the biggest nutritional punch), legumes, nuts, seeds ... variety and organic important.

More clean, fresh water

Less animal products

Less cooked food

Less processed foods, alcohol, stimulant drinks, sports drinks, juices (even freshly squeezed)or any other man-made drink (including diet sodas)

Regular, consistent exercise progressing in intensity

As always, consult your physician before making any changes in your current regime.

These simple, but profound changes will be the key to the kingdom. When your health is better (adequate nutrients, fewer toxins and toxic excess) then excess body fat (a symptom of compromised health) will fall away naturally.

Understanding and doing are two different things. It all depends how much you want it.

Good luck ... and thanks for taking the time to follow my blog and comment. I will always do what I can to help.

I have some great changes coming up fairly soon ... I'll let you know through this blog.

Don

Tina said...

I overeat pretty much all the time. I am a food addict that will eat anything that I can get my hands on, which includes Mick-D's, veggies and everything in between. Reading this article about dopamine and its addicting effects will definetely be in my head the next time I eat something! (Which will probably be now)

Don said...

Hi Tina ... thanks for commenting.

The desire to overeat can sure feel like a compulsion over which you have no control.

It may help to focus not so much on the food, but more on what is going on that triggers the madness when it happens.

Behind virtually all self-destruction (including overeating) are emotions that need to be faced and dealt with.

I know, easier said than done ...

But maybe for you (and others) the starting point might be confronting them rather than burying them.

Digestion is a resource-expensive process. When you are digesting, you don't have energy to emote (feel).

So people learn that so-called "comfort eating" works because it is an effective way to bury emotions and stress, rather than the painful alternative, which is to deal with them ... or at least stare them down and recognize there might be a problem.

Good luck. I really hope this helps. You can stop. Please consider a plant-based/high-raw diet which will be a starting point on the road back to health and some semblance of control.

Don