Tuesday 17 February 2009

Pizza Profits Buck The Trend

Dominos Pizza profits are up nearly 25%.

This at a time where nearly every business is reeling in a crippled global economy.

In view of the overwhelming response to my last article (on pizza), I thought my readers would feel pleased to get yet more information on their favourite "cheat" food.

Here's the reasons given for these positive numbers: due to the credit crunch (surprise, surprise) people are eating in more and not going out to restaurants. And ... cold weather!

I think it's because, irrespective of available finances, discomfort or inconvenience, people are increasingly hell-bent on eating themselves into an early grave.

And MacDonalds doesn't deliver.

2 comments:

WordVixen said...

I think one of the reasons pizza sales are up is because they're relatively inexpensive for a lot of food. And since pizza can be made for... oh, around $0.25 each (skimpy on the sauce and cheese, of course), the profit margins are high enough that they can discount deeply to attract more customers.

BTW- I have a nutrition blog, so when I saw your link on Garry's blog, I had to pop on over. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks WV ... I think you are right. Discounted food is a hazard for a lot of people who can't resista deal.

If you look at most supermarket "specials" ... they're on booze, sweets, baked garbage etc, and they encourage you to spend on crap that you just don't need.

Sad, but true