Tuesday 16 December 2008

The Quick Fix: "Fast Food" Health

Wasn't sure what direction my post would take today ... then it hit me!

So many of us are looking for the quick fix: that ellusive shortcut to balance, health and happiness.

It's as if people lurch from magic bullet to magic bullet, ceaselessly scavenging more hope (do sharks that stop swimming really drown?).

The diet that promises to help you lose ten pounds in as many days ...

The six magic exercises that will transform you from , hmmm ... overweight to hardbody when everything else you've tried has failed.

Eat whatever you want, in front of the TV, and incinerate fat with the touch of a button ... in just ten minutes a day.

Why is it that we still want so badly to believe that the next great thing will be the panacaea to all our problems? As a certifiable cynic I have my theories:

- the horde of "wannabee" affiliate marketers is actually a hungrier crowd than the gurus are willing to reveal (oops, sorry ... wrong blog!)
- most of us are sadly too lazy to turn the tide once the rot has set in
- we are a profoundly naive species
- immediate gratification is in our DNA ... that's not going to change
- a billion dollar industry can't be wrong

I guess I'll put myself out of business right now and reveal ... drum roll please ... there are no shortcuts, you do have to be patient, moderation is a lovely concept that doesn't work, goals only work for a few of us, variety is the spice of life, overkill cardio doesn't work, it's all about the hormones, drink more water, sleep deeper, for longer, more regularly ...

Okay, okay ... I won't give away all my secrets! (Maybe I do have something to say after all).

I feel so much better.

3 comments:

Grum said...

Don, you are too clever!

Paul Eilers said...

Just today, I saw a friend with that 5 Hour Energy stuff that you get at the convenience store - a whole box of it.

Even if that stuff does work, it's temporary and for sure, it does nothing to build up your health.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul. Thanks for your comment. More processed junk. What happened to raw food and good clean water? Seems we forget how to live without the scourge of convenience.