Wednesday 29 April 2009

Do You Crave Bread All The Time?

Someone very near and dear to me mentioned recently that this blog always "had a go" at other people ... and that wasn't always pleasant.

So I thought for today's post I'd be nice and find something interesting to say that didn't involve disrespecting anyone, or any one thing. I'm not sure how long I can keep this up, but here goes anyway.

If you ever wondered why there are times when we become fixated with grain-based foods like pasta or bread ... well, I think I stumbled upon the reason.

You're probably thinking that bread and pasta are carbohydrates ... and so they turn to sugar and that's pretty addictive. But I'm talking about whole wheat granary bread and durum wholewheat pasta. You know, the healthy stuff. The complex carbohydrates that release their sugars into the bloodstream at a much more sedate pace.

So, if sugar isn't the culprit (and I don't think it is), then what else could it be? Well the answer I think will surprise you. Grains (particularly wheat, rye, oats and barley) contain a protein called gluten. And gluten is far more notorious because of all the bad press about food intolerances.

But get this ... gluten does not digest properly and along the way it turns into a host of chemicals with structures not too disimilar to an opiate. You know, like morphine or heroin!

So your addiction to grain products starts to make sense after all. We are told that cravings have psychological roots. Perhaps that's why they are so powerful. What better answer to an itch that is never satisfied than a food that metabolises into one of the most powerful sedatives known to mankind.

At least for a while.

11 comments:

Andrea Y said...

Just be yourself Don =)
I 'found' your blog today and guess what I have fallen in love into your words (^^)
Besides Breads, i have sweet tooth, sigh.., I crave and cry for them most of the time... But when I realized the 'side effect' i try to minimize the intake and 'leave the balance' to next time
Keep it up and keep well

Cheers, Andrea

Don said...

Thanks Andrea

Great to hear you are enjoying what I Have to say ... dry humour and all.

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

glad I found your blog, interesting notion this reminds me of the book "Skinny Bit%$h" all true . . I'm afraid

Don said...

Thanks anonymous ... glad it's got you thinking :)

Vine said...

Well I love bread and it loves me and I'm talkin love...so much so that the whole world can see without a doubt. Holy cow, I'm going to explode. Mommy!
Vine

Don said...

I hear your pain Vine :)

Vine said...

T.Y. 4 ur post,Don.
Take care you!
Unknown chef & designer.
The Vine :)

Anonymous said...

Your post really made a lot of sense to me. Of course like and any addiction it temporarily makes you feel better, but doesn't do your body good. I t confirms my uspicion of my having a severe gluten intolerance. Glutien is basically a poison now days because of genetic modification or coporate profit motives basically screw everyone it makes sick. You really opened my eyes. Looking at gluten as a intolerance sounds too polite, like mixing lies with the truth. Seeing for haw it treats the body much like an opiate would calls it as it really is.
Just like an addict withdrawing from anything with gluten would and still can make me severely depressed and later I'll feeling elsewhere, until my brain forgets the pain and have another hit. Well this guten addict is not goi g to be a slave to corporate politics, profits and greed anymore. It may be a bumpy road for a while, I will get clean and healthy. Thank you again for the eye opener., you may have just saved my life.

Don said...

You guys are great. It is so nice to know that a post nearly three years old is still helping people in some small way.

Here's a little update of what I have learned about whole grain products since writing this post.

First, gluten is so addictive that it is the darling of food manufacturers. If it is in a food, not only will you be far more likely to eat that food ... but you will also probably eat more of other stuff too.

From a manufacturer's perspective, that's mission accomplished.

Second ... it appears that the modern, semi dwarf varieties of wheat are far more potentially destructive than their predecessors. While the yield may be close to ten (10) times greater, the down side is what this "food" does to your ability to selectively screen the substances that are able to pass through your gut wall.

How material a contributor this is to the plague of auto-immune conditions we hear about today is the subject of some speculation.

May I suggest you investigate the work of Dr William Davis who is a little more vociferous about this problem.

From perspective, I suggest that grains are just not an appropriate food for humans except under conditions where survival is an imperative. The long consequences will be inescapable.

This also includes whole grains which are given a free pass by the conventional community, effectively making them a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Instead, consume less man made "food" and more fresh, wholesome plant foods brimming with life and all the nutrients we need.

Nature's perfect packages ...

Hope this gives you a little something to think about :)

peecee927 said...

And still helping.....sensible information never goes out of style!

Don said...

Thanks peecee927 ... I'm glad to be able to help.